Lancashire encompasses some of the best-known towns in England, such as Blackpool and Burnley. Formally, the county also included Manchester, one of the major towns in England that profited significantly from engagement in the production of cotton textiles. There were about 2,650 cotton mills in Lancashire by 1860 which employed 440,000 people, producing half of the world’s cotton until the turn of the twentieth century when goods could no longer be exported to foreign markets due to the world war.
The cotton mills in Lancashire and the town where they were located are listed below:
The higher mill and Whittaker mill are located in Helmshore, the higher mill was built in 1726 and it stopped working in 1967. It is maintained as a museum today alongside the Whittaker mill which was built in 1820, is the most original and best-preserved example of cotton spinning and woolen filling left in the country.
The Irwell mill in Bacup was built in 1824 -1825, it stopped working in the early nineteenth century, and part of the mill has now been restored, with the building now used as a primary health care center
The Pendle street mill was built in 1887, it has not been altered or extended up to date except the boiler house and a building used in the transmission of power which has been demolished, and almost all of its component are still surviving in good condition.
The centenary mill was built in 1895, on new hall lane, Preston, but it is now used as an apartment complex today.
The Tulketh mill was also built in 1905 and it closed down in 1968 and it is now used as a warehouse today.
The Victoria mill is a six-story double mill built in 1869. The mill operated till 1960 after the world war. The building has now been refurbished for use by the university technical college, Burnley.
Hargher Clough works mill located in Burnley stopped working during world war 2 and it was used in the manufacture of equipment for early jet engines. The building has been demolished as part of the redevelopment of the locality
Moor lane mills and India mills are located in Lancaster, the moor lane mill building is now used as a student accommodation after the major renovation was done on it
The IIex cotton mill was built in 1856 but it was sold in 1899 to a shoemaking company, the building was used for textile again in 1930, but it was shut down in 1981. It was sold to a company that offers it as an apartment for rent today.
The India mill has a chimney that still dominates the skyline of Darwen till this day with its Italian inspired architecture. The mill stopped working in 1991 and was rebuilt in 2007 and the building listed as a grade II building, it is used as a business center that offers spaces for rent today.